- Speak to your solicitor and your estate agent to confirm a completion date (the date you hand over the keys to your house and receive the keys to your new house) Usually on exchange of contracts if this gives you enough time book your removal company - good reports through friends give you peace of mind.
- Make sure your possessions are insured for transit.
- If you can afford it hire a cleaner for the house you are moving into.
- Complete a list of instructions for your buyers to advise on heating, electrical appliances, bin collection, alarm systems etc.
- Notifying change of Address
- Utilities- Gas, electricity & water providers
- Bank, buiding society, pension providers, credit card & store card companies
- If you have children- schools
- The DVLNI this is a legal requirement to renew your driving licence and Vehicle Registration Documen
- Friends, family & work colleagues
- Contact Royal Mail to redirect your mail for you, make sure to do this a good 10 days prior to moving for more information contact www.royalmail.com
- Be organised- make sure the removal men have a clear & concise plan as to where everything is going.
- We would recommend changing the locks on the doors.
- Read the meters, make sure the electricity, gas and heating are all in working order.
- Remember you can only do so much, make the beds, sit down, order a take away and enjoy your first night in your new home!